Have you seen the scientific evidence that genetically modified foods are 100% safe, with no long-term health related side effects? Neither have we. Emerging research is discovering startling evidence that the government and seed industries “solution to world hunger” is creating a potentially irreversible pattern of destruction in agriculture, wild life and human health.
What is a GMO?
Genetically modified organisms (GMO’s) are created by combining genes from one species into the DNA of a food crop or animal to produce a new trait. Because living organisms have natural barriers to protect themselves against the introduction of DNA from a different species, genetic engineers must force the DNA from one organism into another. Their methods include:
- Using viruses or bacteria to “infect” animal or plant cells with the new DNA.
- Coating DNA onto tiny metal pellets and firing it with a special gun into the cells.
- Injecting the new DNA into fertilized eggs with a very fine needle.
- Using electric shocks to create holes in the membrane covering sperm and forcing the new DNA into the sperm through these holes.
Why is this done, you might ask? By inserting certain bacterial genes into crop seeds it allows farmers to spray otherwise deadly doses of weed-killer directly on the crop without killing it. Other seeds are inserted with soil bacterium Bacillus Thuringiensis (Bt) to produce an insect-killing pesticide within every cell of the plant. When insects eat the plant, they get a mouthful of toxins which cause their stomachs to erupt, killing the bugs. These genetically modified (GM) plants are so toxic they are registered as pesticides with the Environmental Protection Agency, and for good reason. Mass deaths have been seen in livestock allowed to graze on these GM Bt plants in both the US and abroad. If bugs and livestock die after eating GM Bt plants, what effects will be seen on humans? Wow, that is a heavy thought huh?
Biotech companies like Monsanto and DuPont claim the Bt-toxin has a history of safe use, citing even organic farmers use Bt bacteria spray for natural insect control. However they fail to point out that the Bt-toxin produced in GM plants:
- Is thousands times more concentrated than the natural Bt spray used by organic farmers.
- Is designed to be more toxic.
- Has properties of an allergen.
- Unlike the spray, cannot be washed off the plant.
What are the risks of eating GMO foods?
The American Academy of Environmental Medicine reported serious health risks associated with GM foods in animal studies including infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, faulty insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the gastrointestinal system.
- Mice fed GM soy had fewer, and smaller, babies.
- More than half the babies of mother rats fed GM soy died within three weeks.
- Testicle cells of mice and rats on a GM soy diet changed in color and size.
- By the third generation, most GM soy-fed hamsters became infertile.
- Rodents fed GM corn/soy showed signs of toxicity, lowered immunity & increased allergies.
- The stomach lining of rats fed GM potatoes showed excessive cell growth, a condition that may lead to cancer.
- Studies also found organ lesions, altered liver and pancreas cells, changed enzyme levels, etc.
“So what Dr. Bentley, these are rodents, not humans. This does not mean it will happens to us!” Unfortunately, no clinical studies have looked at the effects of GMO’s on humans (we are currently the experiment). The only published experiment found, stated that once GM soy is ingested by humans, the genetic material forced into the food will remain inside our intestines and continue to function. This means the potential for super diseases, antibiotic resistance and internal pesticide production.
The International Journal of Biological Sciences reported that all three GM corn options produced by Monsanto created kidney and liver dysfunction, which are the main organs that respond to chemical food poisoning. New evidence has also come to light exposing the recommendations of at least a dozen FDA scientists, who urged long-term safety studies before GMO’s hit the market in the mid 1990’s. Despite these warnings, the FDA approved GMO’s addition to food without requiring product labeling. In 1996 widespread crops hit the market and nine years later the number of people suffering from three or more chronic diseases nearly doubled from 7% to 13%, allergic reactions treated in emergency rooms doubled and overall food related illnesses doubled according to the CDC.
The Creation of Super-weeds for Super-greed!
Bio-tech companies flourished after the FDA’s approval of GMO’s, even to the point that Forbes magazine named Monsanto “company of the year” in 2009. However, as more people studied the effects of GMO’s, questionable company ethics came to light. Bioengineered corn seeds failed to produce great yield and super-weeds resistant to herbicides, creeped across 11 million acres of U.S. farmland (5x more than the previous 3 years). Since then, Forbes retracted their statement saying they were “wrong, really wrong”.
In France, the Supreme Court found Monsanto guilty of advertising their herbicide Roundup as “biodegradable and environmentally friendly.” The active ingredient in Roundup is glyphosate, which is acutely toxic to fish, birds, and beneficial insects. We now have farmers dousing their fields with 10x the recommended amount of herbicide (which studies show may not even be enough to kill the superweeds!) which seeps into the soil, nearby streams, and air. Farmers are fed up, stocks are plummeting, but Monsanto says it will make a comeback. They are in the process of producing a new soybean seed with high levels of omega-3 fatty acids to appeal to health-conscious consumers who they hope will demand the product from farmers.
Read your labels!!! Right now, more than 70% of foods on supermarket shelves contain derivatives of the eight GM foods on the market – soy, corn, oil from canola and cottonseed, sugar from sugar beets, Hawaiian papaya, and a small amount of zucchini and crook neck squash. Currently, about 85% of corn, 92% of soybeans, 76% of cotton, 75% of canola and 50% of Hawaiian papaya grown in the U.S. is genetically modified.
- Look for Non-GMO Project Seals Products – see header of this post for seal example.
- Buy organic/local when possible. Certified organic products cannot intentionally include any GMO ingredients.
- Honey and bee pollen – may have GM sources of pollen
- Sugar – If a non-organic product lists “sugar” (not pure cane sugar) as an ingredient, it’s most likely a combination of sugar cane and GM sugar beets.
- Meat/Eggs – Unless specified on the label, products may be from cows injected with the GM bovine growth hormone or from animals fed GM soy or corn feed. Look for labels stating no rBGH, rBST or artificial hormones.
- Enzymes, flavorings, processing agents & additives including aspartame (NutraSweet®) may contain GMO’s